Charter Steel Trading was started in 1976 by Gary Birnbaum. Gary who is transplant from New York knew nothing about steel or the steel business when he entered it in 1974. After teaming up with two men who were 30 years his senior, he learned the business through his hard work and dedication. Charter steel Trading in its inception was a brokerage house working out of of an office space on Chicago's Magnificent Mile. Years went on and the company grew, Charter Steel Trading bought its first facility at 4401 W Roosevelt Rd in Chicago. The brokerage aspect of the business and Charter Steel Trading decided to enter the warehouse business by purchasing its first slitting line in 1978. Business grew additional slitting lines werre sequentionally added. In 2011 expanded and bought its 2nd facility in Chicago at 1600 S. Kostner which houses 2 Cut to Length lines and 2 Shears. Charter Steel Trading currently has 300,000 square feet of warehouse space under one roof in Chicago. Charter Steel Trading services customers across North America. In 2013 Charter Steel Trading acquired Indiana Steel & Tube located in Brownstown, IN.